Sunday, November 8, 2009

Simplify.

Read Proverbs 30: 7-9.
Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God.

What do you think about that? Do you ask for the same or more? What is the piece of wisdom that we should glean from this Scripture? What should this challenge us to do as we enter a season of giving?

I am reading a book called Simplify, and it teaches how to simplify life... taking out all the excess and leaving what really matters. I pray that during this Thanksgiving season you would weed away all that doesn't matter and find happiness in the Lord. All the things that distract, I pray you would have the strength to test them and if necessary, remove them. As you think about what is good and what needs to be weeded out, I give you a biblical standard from this book.
It challenges you to ask yourself four questions:
1. Everything is permissible for me- but not everything is beneficial (1 Cor. 6:12). So... are these things in you life helpful physically, spiritually, and mentally? If not, then they do not belong. This is super challenging for me.
2. Everything is permissible for me- but I will not be mastered by anything (1 Cor. 6:12). Does it (whatever it may be) bring me under its power?
3. Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall (1 Cor. 8:13). Does it hurt others?
4. And lastly, so whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." Does it glorify God?
I am challenging myself to memorize the four steps and to ask myself those questions when I am tempted to eat, buy, or consume something that I shouldn't. I pray that you would do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment