Monday, November 2, 2009

good byes are hard.

Tomorrow is now today. I look back on the past two days and wish that everyday with the Stephens family would have been spent as intentional as I have lived today. It was a hard day, an emotionally draining day.. but a beautiful day. I have a fuller understanding today of what it means to treasure things in my heart... like making lemonade with the kids in the middle of Pei Wei and hearing them say, "More sugar, please."... like chasing them around the house trying to catch their balloons before they fly too high... like waking Jack up and carrying him to the playroom because he was too tired to get out of bed and walk by himself... like having Ben sing "You Are My Sunshine" with me before tucking him in... like seeing Sophia bundled beneath piles of blankets... like hearing Jack try to say "Salamander"... like crying in the kitchen with Tess and Doris wishing that time would stop moving so quickly.

The past two days have been filled with sweet memories that have no price tag. I know that this good-bye is not final but the dynamics have changed. I did not lose a family today when I left, but I have gained a family.

So, good byes are hard... but beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment