Saturday, February 5, 2011

Financial Stewardship

Beginning in January, I really tried to crack down on our budget. I wanted to make sure that we were being good stewards of our money. Since I started working full time, we have had a lot of extra money with the intention of saving. We know that children (Lord willing) are in our future and we want to prepare for them, especially because I really don't want to work outside of the home when I become a mom.

So... I have been really proud of myself lately with how we are financially stewarding our money. I started a cash system for groceries and going out to eat. I allot about $60 a week in grocery money, but this week I only spend $45. Before I hit the grocery store, I look at what is on sale in the ads and what I have in my cabinets. I then find recipes that use those items (on sale and in my house.) Another must before hitting the store is syncing my schedule with my hubby's. If he is only going to be home two or three nights a week, then I know that I only need to make two or three larger meals and I can eat leftovers. Also, I usually cook for about four people with the exception of Tuesday night small group when I prepare for around 15-20. The extra food rarely goes to waste as it becomes our lunches or dinner.

So... this week on the menu, we have:
- Homemade Basil Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Baked Spaghetti (Tuesday night small group meal)
- Spicy Garlic Chinese Chicken with Broccoli
- Baked Potatoes with BBQ Chicken
- If I need another meal, I have everything here to make turkey burgers and homemade french fries.

The $45 not only bought the ingredients for these meals but also what I needed to make a seven layer dip and cookies for our church's Super Bowl party tomorrow!

Justin and I usually go out to Chick Fil A once during the week, and we have a brunch date on the weekend.

It takes a lot of work and at times can be difficult and confusing, but I feel really good about how we are choosing to steward what God has given us. Praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment